International Works (Laos):
Bennco Group’s managing director, Todd Bennett was approached by Rio Tinto in early 2016 to bring his knowledge and expertise of the Rio Tinto electrical systems, C2 global standards, policies and procedures to a project based in Laos. Todd was leading a team of local Lao/Thai electricians in the installation, testing and commissioning of an 80 man camp for a total of 4 weeks.
Todd was commended by his peers for being approached given all the Rio Tinto internal subject matter experts and other electrical contractors.
Todd, being the person that he is took the challenge head on, a challenge that involved a demanding scope of works in such challenging conditions with a language barrier. That being said the project was completed on time, on budget and incident free.
The scope or works included but not limited to:
- Air freight of materials from Australia.
- Rewire and installation of 20 switchboards to AS/NZS 3000 and Rio Tinto internal global standards.
- Installation and implementation of the MEN system and main earthing.
- Installation of RCD protection devices.
- Essential services on backup generator.
- Development of safe work procedures for low voltage switching including arc flash requirements.
- Onsite training and implementation of the Rio Tinto isolation regulations version 2.2.
- Testing and commissioning.
Todd continues to be the electrical subject matter expert for Rio Tinto in this project with another site visit planned for late 2016 to continue the ongoing training and relationships.